Hard drives have become part of our everyday lives’. These devices can be used to store incredibly huge amounts of data and come in variable sizes that make them easily portable. Once you insert these drives in your system, they behave just as internal drives and you can perform normal operations on the drive.
Like most good things, there’s a flip side to using hard drives as well. These drives can get corrupted and can lead to data loss if you are not careful.
You just plugged in your hard drive to access some important files. The system does not show you the contents of the hard drive. It shows you an error:
“You need to format the disk in drive H: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?”
Now, you cannot press Yes simply because you will end up losing all the data from your hard disk. Click on No.
How to recover data when a hard disk asks you to format it?
- Remo Recover software
When a hard disk prompts you to format it before use, do not perform any actions on the drive. It could lead to overwriting of data and subsequent data recovery process is not possible.
If you are wondering how to access data on hard drive without formatting, Remo Recover software is an excellent data recovery tool to do just that.
If your hard drive has become RAW, i.e., your file system is not recognized by the Windows Operating system, you will not be able to view any content on the hard drive. You can fix raw hard drive using Remo Recover software.
Even if you clicked on format hard disk by accident, Remo Recover makes it possible for you to recover all the lost data as long as you do not overwrite data. The recovery tool helps you restore data from lost, deleted, formatted or re-formatted partitions as well.
The best thing to do is to use Remo Recover software to recover all the data safely into another hard drive or a storage device and then format the hard drive.
You do not have to worry about the accuracy and the variety of files that Remo Recover can successful restore. It supports recovery of more than 300 different file types and if you do not find your file type listed, you can add new file type using raw signature search option.
- Click on Start menu.
- Type Command Prompt in the search bar.
- Once it shows up, right click on Command Prompt, and click on Run as Administrator.
- The Command Prompt window opens up. Type chkdsk X: /F/R. You can replace the letter ‘X’ with the drive letter of your corrupted hard drive.
Causes of hard drive corruption
Now let us look at few common reasons why your hard disk gets corrupted and why you get a prompt to format your hard disk.
- Formatting errors: When you repeatedly format your hard drive to a different file system, drive can become inaccessible.
- Read/write head crash: A read/write head is one of the most important parts of your hard disk. It does the job of the reading and writing data onto hard disk. If this portion gets damaged, you cannot perform any data operations.
- File system corruption: File system contains information about where a file can be laid out and located on a hard disk. File systems can get corrupted when you shut down the system by turning off power, accidental unplugging of the disk, software errors in the kernel.
- Bad sectors: Bad sectors are regions on your hard disk that you cannot read or write. A large number of these bad sectors can mean corruption of your hard disk.
- Virus/Malware: A virus or malware infection on your hard drive can mean corruption of your hard disk.